Friday, September 08, 2006

#17 Visting my peeps in Germany



To see all of the pictures I have so far if you are having trouble here is what you do: go to this website: http://tinyurl.com/oa3ea when you do it will ask for your winkflash account, if you don't have one, make one up; it is free. When you are in your account go to public folders. When it asks the user name you can put in my name which is: stevehowson and then you will be able to see all of the picutres.

When I left England it was off to Stuttgart, Germany where I was to visit a friend that I made 6 years ago when visiting Germany; Sarah. I probably picked on of the most transitional times to visit her. She is in the middle of finishing her masters thesis, interviewing with different companies and deciding which job she will want to take which in turn will change her life completely and on top of it the trying to deal with the men in her life and what she think of the whole mess. This just goes to show that like everywhere else in the world people in general worry about similar things.
It was a very relaxing few days. Her apartment was outside of the city and sat up on a hill where if you looked off the balcony you could see quite a ways. We made a trip into Stuttgart for a day which is very clean and lively city. We headed to Munich for a day (I wondered around while she had to do a full day interview). There was lots of excitement around Munich as they were preparing for the Pope's visit along with beer fest starting soon. We also went to visit her University which was near her house. Did you know that Universities in Germany are paid for by the government so anyone can go and study for years and years.
Sarah is quite a cook too, so after getting used to traveling and eating like a backpacker I was for a few days fed like a king. In the process I got a chance to try very Germany foods which I took to liking (I'm sure you are all surprised considering how picky of an eater I am).
Sarah-Thank you for your hospitality and good luck with the decision of choosing which path to follow.
And like that three days were over and I got on a train to head to northern Germany to visit Adam (footer jr) who lives and works playing basketball in Quakenbruck, Germany. On the train ride north some guy who was sitting near me left his big luggage high on the rack and when the security came by and he was gone for a while I had to answer lots of questions about this man and how long he had been gone. When the security came back the second time with more security they asked me and others to clear the section. After some time of checking out the luggage the man came back and had decided that he wanted to sit about 10 seats back away from his luggage (probably just away from me but he forgot his luggage near me).

I will leave you with a joke that my brother Mark sent me:

Two turtles went camping. They brought a bunch of beer and sandwiches. After 3 full days of walking they found the perfect spot, but it was then that they realised that they had forgotten the bottle opener. "You have to go back and get it" said the first turtle "or else we won't have any beer". "No way" the second one said. "If I go back you will eat all the food while I'm gone". "I promise I won't" the first one replied. So the second turtle headed back and after 9 full days of waiting he still hadn't got back. So hungry, the first turtle couldn't wait any longer and bit into the sandwich. The second turtle jumped out from behind the rock and said "I knew it!!!! I'm not fucking going back!!"

Thank you to my family and those of you who have sent me emails letting me know how you are doing and what I am missing out on in your lives!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,
I wish I was traveling with you. Be safe, Have fun, and keep the stories coming. Wishing you well.
Your Friend from NJ!

Anonymous said...

Hey there Steve, I am truly enjoying reading about your adventures! Stay safe!

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve!
Don't make babies!
I'm learning to use the internet here in New York with Kevin

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve!
Send Uncle Lou a email!
loumarvin@hotmail.com