Tuesday, September 05, 2006

#16 So long England after reunion with Friends



First off late me say, Happy labor Day!! what is this labor business anyways?

After fully recovering from a cold and loads of rest I got to enjoy one of the other great parts of traveling. I got a chance to meet up with friends that I had made on previous trips.
One night I met up with my friend Kathy in London. She was my scuba instructor in Australia a couple of years back so it wasnt a big surprise when I saw her and she kindly called me scuba steve. I met up with her and a few of her friends at her place of stay. We shared a couple of bottles of wine, had dinner and then headed to a couple of bars for the night.

I then headed south to Brighton which is right on the Sea (the english channel which connects the north sea to the atlantic). In Australia I traveled for about a month with three lovely english girls, Anya, Sal, and Lynne. It was Anya's place that we met at in Brighton which was about a block from the sea. Sal and Lynne drove about 5 hours from the north to have a reunion for the weekend. It was so hard to believe that it had been nearly three years since seeing each other, but was so comfortable and nice to catch up and reminice about the days traveling together. It's funny how well you get to know people when traveling and spending so much time together because you really get to see the core of the person. I feel I knew the three of them better than many people that I have known for a much longer time.
We toured around Brighton, it happened to be cold and rainy for the couple of days we were there but none the less we had each others company. We drank tea like it was going out of style (by the way, what is back in style in london and maybe england for that matter is the full jeans with the jean jacket look and also the skirt with the pants or tights on underneath; gotta love the 80's). I learned that I weigh 15 stones (does everyone know this measurement 1 stone=14 pounds) There were often other words that they used which I didnt understand as there were also words that I used which they didnt understand which would usually bring about a big bout of laughter from everyone which is always a common language.
I decided that I needed to go in the sea just because. The girls thought I was crazy because it was cold, wet and the waves were huge and there was not another single soul in the water or in shorts for that matter. I went in and it was great; very refreshing. After a couple of days which went by in what seemed hours we all had to say goodbye and hope that it wouldnt be 3 years until seeing each other again (at least I felt that way). Anya-thanks for having us over and being such a great host!!!! Sal and Lynne- Thanks for making the long drive to come and meet up, it meant a lot. All 3-Thanks for the smiles, laughter and of course singing along.

I also got a chance to do something I haven't done for a long time:SHUB. When I lived with Evan in college for a year we lived in the attic of a house. Since it was the attic the roof would slope down on both sides. It happened to slope over the bathroom and the lowest point came down over the tub. Because of this there was no way to stand a shower in the tub, you would have to lay down and move the spout back and forth over your body. As Evan loved it and shubbed (showering in the tub) many times a day I would go to the Kuwaiti house (friends that are all from Kuwait) and shower there everyday. Well, I had my chance to shub again at Anya's place and jumped at the opportunity which will explain the picture in the photo album.

I headed back to london for a night and got to see skaya who's bed I had slept in for the last week while she was on holiday (thank you skaya). The next morning I headed off to Germany. 3 countries down, many more to go!!!

You should be able to see the England pictures, it is the same link as the last 2 because now it has just turned into a public drive where all the pictures will be able to be seen.

You also may be wondering how I do so much in a short time since I often have the same shirt on. I'll just tell you that it' not in such a short time, I only have so many shirts.

No comments: