Tuesday, February 20, 2007

#59 Koh Tao-a bit tanner, still not superman, but getting better at snorkeling.



Meredith (aka-Megadeath) and I left Koh samui and headed on a boat trip for a few hours to Koh Tao-well known for it's diving and snorkeling. When we arrived after a full day in the sun on the boat it took us a while to find a room. We finally found a fairly cheap bungalow where we settled in before heading to the beach to watch a beautiful sunset and drank our no-name, cheapest bottle of Thailand liquor that we could find; not so bad...but no so good either.
The next day we got snorkel gear and a floating raft and spent the day going from the beach to snorkeling to lying on the raft, and back to the beach to read while people walked by trying to sell fresh grilled ears of corn, or a fresh chopped pineapple. (no ear cleaners here, thank God!!)
We found a cheap, local place where we have consumed the majority of our meals; yummy!!!
There was a bar that had a big screen TV and would show new pirated movies, and all you had to do to watch was buy a drink and settle in for the show. We chose to watch "Blood Diamond", which Mega didn't mind much and I couldn't stand it. Some horribly cheesy parts and for the most part I just can't take Leo D.
The following day I decided to get some exercise. While everyone on the island rents mopeds, or 4 wheelers, I decided that I was going to rent a good old do it yourself bicycle. "The island is not that big, I can see most of it in a day and get a little exercise" This is what was being thought in my head. As it turns out, Koh Tao is a VERY hilly island, and not with paved roads either. As I headed out I found myself getting tired fairly quick (this may be due to the lack of real exercise for the last I don't know how many days, or is it weeks, or possibly months). I saw a sing pointing across the middle of the island that had three destinations; my choice was the nearest one. In the end, since I passed without knowing the first and second destination I ended up at the third beach. This is after multiple hours of walking my bike up these steep roads barefoot because my sandals were to sweaty for my feet to stay in them. There were a couple times when I stopped on the side of the road and sat under some shade wondering if I should just start trying to make somewhere to live out of the brush and trees on the side of the road. When I did finally arrive I was exhausted and after a short nap went for a snorkel where I saw some of the most beautiful groups of fish swimming in huge groups, weaving in and out of other types of fish swimming together.

(don't let the smile fool you. This was at the end of my trip when I arrived back and showered-notice the bright red face is gone)
After some time at this beach I found a guy with a truck who agreed to drive me to the top of the mountain (it's really a big hill, but it felt like a mountain) for 50 baht (about $1.60), best money I've ever spent!!!!
I then went and checked out the first beach, which is the one I originally planned on going to first.
Anyways, my point is: if you find yourself on Koh Tao, the only reason you may want to rent a bicycle is to go down the street to the 7/11, which you won't want to do because they don't have slurpees!!! So, just give in to the fact that you won't be doing much exercise and if you really need some, throw the snorkel gear on and head out for a swim.
Today, we hired a boat and a driver to drive us around the whole island and check out all the different beaches and best snorkel sights. We went to a smaller, local island that is 3 little islands connected by sand bars; oh, how beautiful!!!!
We did the trip with a couple that I met the day before from France.
I'm tired from the trip right now so I can't think of too much to write about it, except it was a great day and thing to do after the bike ride yesterday.
Nobody gets to live life backward. Look ahead, that is where your future lies. -- Ann Landers

No comments: