Friday, February 16, 2007

#58 Fighting hard, driving fast, sunfilled and threatened by a barber.


Thailands color is yellow. Yes, like the coldplay song. Why? If you walk around the streets on a weekday you will see 90% of Thai people wearing yellow shirts. It is their uniform. Any government job, big company job, or smaller businesses that want to think they are big and important, so pretty much everyone wears a yellow shirt. The hookers do not wear yellow, however they may pull a yellow ping pong ball out in the middle of the act.
Meredith and I traveled to the Thai islands together, we took an overnight bus and watched movies with english subtitles. No matter whether the movie was horrow, action, drama or thriller, the subtitles made them all a comedy. In a crucial part in one movie, the character yelled "there's nothing I can do, my hands are full" In the subtitle below they replaced full with free changing the message completely in the movie for those who didn't speak english. This didn't happen once, it happened every line.
We spent a couple days in the sun, just enjoying the water and weather, reading our books and listening to music.
One night we ventured out to see thai fighting; similar to kickboxing.
There were 6 fights, 3 were knockouts and the other 3 decisions.
The first fight was between two 12 year olds who really went at it. I found myself after deep thought lean over and tell Meredith, "I think I can take them!!!" Thinking about this after, I realized all the traveling and learning I'm doing, I'm still thinking about beating up a 12 yr old, and I wasn't even sure I could. It wasn't too violent and quite enjoyable to watch. Meredith and I bet on two fight with each other and found ourselves at a draw. After that we stopped because we felt bad betting on others pain. After 5 more fights of pure excitement, we were out of there and walked the stretch back to our place where we had to fight off all the girls (maybe underneath guys) who wanted us to visit their bar or massage parlor. (by the way, we passed a place today that was a karaoke bar/massage parlor-possibly one of the best places I could ever imagine)


Today we rented a truck/jeep and drove around the island. We went to lots of waterfalls, where we went for dip in one of the big pools at the bottom of one. We checked out the different beaches and small towns along the way as Meredith practiced driving on the opposite side of the road. It was great to have some freedom and get a chance to explore and see some other places on our own.
At the end of our day tour, we went and checked out some famous rocks on the island. The story goes something like a husband and wife went out on the sea to collect the woman who was to marry their son and they got lost at sea. In their memory the sea carved a man and woman genetalia out of some big rocks, we could really only see the man's clearly.
(warning- objects may appear bigger in picture)
I ended the night getting a shave at a barber shop like I did so often while in India and the barber cut my face up a bit. I was disgusted more than halfway through, told him I had enough and with my face bleeding and in pain he told me that he would find where I slept and finish the shave. "where do you stay tonight?" (like I was going to tell him after his threat) "where did you learn to shave?" I asked. I think he had some builtup anger and just decided to take it out on my face. (don't worry, I'm still as beautiful as ever, and if that still worries you, look at the picture above again!!)
"Be picky when choosing someone to shave your face"
-a new quote by guess who?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were brave riding with Meredith driving ...I have experienced her crazy driving in DC.....if she drove & survived there she should be able to drive anywhere..even Thailand !!!! MO