Saturday, December 23, 2006

#40 Possible help with the Maasai and those less fortunate.



As you know I spent quite a bit of time in Kenya with families and the Maasai people.
The one woman I stayed with in Nairobi who I called mom works with orphans to help them get an education along with trying to donate to local villages that can't easily get things. Auntie who I stayed with also helps orphans to be educated.
In the maasai tradition like I said previously the girls anywhere from 12-17 will be married off and before marriage must get circumsized which can cause many health problems. Some girls from these villages have run off so this doesn't happen to them. Auntie gives them a place to stay and tries to get them into school to be educated to make decisions for themselves in life. To raise money for them many of the maasai women walk several hours each day to make bead work. Maasai beadwork is known around Africa as top quality work. When I get home I will bring some beadwork (bracelets, necklaces, etc..) if people want to see or possibly buy some.

I saw all the buildings and met many of these people and know that it is a very good cause. I also know that people everywhere in the world need some help.

If you have clothes that you are getting rid or maybe after the holidays if you clean out old stuff and would like to help these people that I stayed with they would be very appreciative as would I for some donations.

The address to send stuff (clothes, pencils, pens, old card games) to is:

Martha Betty Miyandazi
Box 00200 67196
Nairobi, Kenya

If you do send anything please include a piece of paper with your name and return address inside the box.

To tell you a little more about the maasai way of life I have to first tell you their main idea is to let life take care of itself; to live without hurting the land, air, fire or water. They are very good listeners, they will not consider anyone an enemy until they know them. Cow's are life, they are the main food supply and raising cattle is the most important job in the maasai world.
Men can marry multiple woman, usually determined by how many cattle they own.
They are very close, caring people who trust people.
For more information and to learn about my friend Miyere who walked from Nairobi to Cape Town (it took him over six months) go to www.maasaiwarrior.com

Thanks for your help


We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. -- Winston Churchill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like I said, you have to write a book about your trip. I think the title should: Where In The World Is Steve Howson!

KIngT.

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a title-now Steve just has to work on the rest of the book. The blogs will be a good jumping off point.