Thursday, December 07, 2006

#37 Are Lions or drivers more dangerous?

A dala dala isn't a food and it isn't an expression.
If you want cheap transportation you take a dala dala.
If you want to test your luck with life you take a dala dala.
They are these mini bus/big van type or auto that seat 8 or so people. They usually have anywhere from 7 to 15 people in them. It's not the amount of people that will make you clostrophobic or worried. It is when they bring in their luggage, goats, or anyother assortment of stuff other passengers may be carrying. They are about a 20th of the price of a taxi and it is what the locals do and so that is what I do to. Luckily I am here to report about it.

It is now mango season through much of africa. What does this mean? If at any point of the trip during any part of the day anyone and everyone is will to sell you a mango. You can't go 10 feet without passing someone with a pal of mangos. Pineapples are plentiful too.

I have a bit of a cold or flu or something which worries me not only because I'm in Africa but because I have a lot of crap to do and don't want to be sick for it. First step was to see if it was Malaria. After spending less to get a malaria test than I spent to write this blog I found out I was clear of that. Now I just chug water, get some sleep and push on.

Lion is the driver of our huge truck which we have spent way to much time in. While the majority of the group did a set up safari, myself and a few others chose to stay back and find our own means thinking it would be cheaper. Believe it or not it was a bit cheaper. We (Me, Alice and Egg) found a guide to take us to the Ngororo crater in Tanzania. This is the largest crater in the world. 17km by 21km. Because it is surrounded by mountains the animals there stay in the crater making it one of the most spectacular sites that I've ever seen. Driving through the crater we saw thousands of animals every way we turned. Tons of Zebra, Wildbeasts, Buffalo, a cheetah, a jackal, and a family of 11 lions which is where we ate our lunch; right in the car about 30 ft from the lions. The crater is also home to the Black Rhino which is an endangered animal and there are fewer than 100 left in the world. Each one that exists has a tracking device in its horn and is traced 24 hours a day. We were lucky enough to see 3 of them, one sighting was the mom and the baby. We also saw tons of baboons and some zebras mating (the expression hung like a horse goes for hung like a zebra as well). While nobody is allowed to get out of their vehicles in the crater I was able to get out for a couple of hours. Why you ask? Because our truck got stuck in the mud and we had to figure out ways to get it out. Luckily the lions weren't near or weren't hungry. After a bit of time and breaking 3 chains a bigger truck was able to pull us out and set us free. Lion our driver came with us on the safari which made it twice as much fun.

We head to Nairobi today and our tour ends tomorrow which is when I will be traveling alone again. My next stop will be in a maasai village to visit the family of Miyere who I met while in Cape Town and it turns out he is probably the most famous Maasai warrior today since when you go to maasaiwarrior.com it is all him and what he has set up. It should be an interesting experience. If you check out the website and have any questions you want me to find out while I'm there just let me know.

"I live the life I love, I love the life I live"
-Toots and the Maytals. in the song 'free man'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve, the world is waiting for the next blog-eagerly-with hold our breath anticipation. Don't keep us waiting!