Thursday, May 03, 2007

#70 Out of Hoi Ann which I loved and meeting up with the little one again to do a familiar route.

Me and my bike on one of my many bike rentals trips. To rent a Motorbike in most places in SE asia shouldn't cost any more then $5, and it is great to have a little freedom once in a while. (I realize saying that, that I've been traveling for quite a while with lots of freedom, so I guess it is freedom within freedom)


This blog is WAY overdue. It is the last stretch of this trip overseas so I have been on the move and enjoying it without taking a break to hang out at a computer.
Hoi Ann turned out to be one of my favorite cities. I could easily live there for some time. Beautiful little city center, very friendly people, 10 minutes from a clean, big beach and cheap, delicious food. I spent a bit of my time with a Kiwi couple I met going to the beach, dinner and out for 12 cent draft beer (beer hoi). I made some friends with some of the locals that sold different foods or rented bicycles or that I would just see frequently in the city.
I met a girl from the US who has been living all over the US out of her car who I found very intriguing. For one reason, I wouldn't picture someone who has been based out of their car to be wearing the same retainer they got when they were 15 when they are now 30. (GREAT TEETH though to prove that all of us who got braces should still be wearing ours)
Anyways, she and I rented a motorbike for a day to go explore small local villages nearby. We also stopped in a neighboring city to see a temple of a religion that is a combination of all religions and I can't think of the name right now, but it was quite interesting.

As you can see in the picture it includes those figures
from many different religions. The saying along with
it translates to "all religions have the same purpose"
It was hard to say goodbye to Hoi Ann, but after almost a week it was time to go. If you remember from other emails there is a little english girl, Sarah, who I've met up with a couple of times in India and then in Thailand and Laos who had just arrived to Saigon. I departed Hoi Ann on a 25 hour trip back to Saigon and had a lazy day with Ms. Lane before Michelle (aka-my belle) arrived the following day. The 3 of us then headed to MuiNe beach to get some sun and some cheap massages on the beach. We found our favorite restaurant where I began my week long attempt to eat all the squid I could get down. The 3 of us went out on a motorbike one day to see the local fishing village and get some local food away from the tourist area. We ended our day at the red sand dunes watching the sun go down. The woman who spoke no english and ran our guesthouse here always would slap me and be quite violent with me as a sign of liking me, I laughed at first and then flinched everytime I was around her after, she was sweet though.
Sorry about it being sideway, but if you tilt your head to
the left, you can see it perfectly. Your other left.
This is at the red sand dunes as the sun is going down.
( I realize other things stand out in this picture other than the sand and sun)
We then headed to the mountains to Dalat where it is cooler for sleeping, mountainous surroundings and good food. I rented a motorbike on my own one day to get out to the mountains and country. (I've rented a lot of bikes on this trip) While enjoying some fresh pineapple and strawberry popcicle like things on the side of the road I had a larger vietnamese man with a big smile and few teeth in his smile approach me. After telling him my name and where I was from I asked him his name. " Long " he said and then made a fist with his right hand and held it out towards me. After looking at it I didn't know if he wanted to me give him a pound on his fist or what. Then he said "long" again and shook his fist. I saw a little scar on his finger but was still confused. Once he realized I was confused he said "long" and then looked at his fist, only then realizing that it was on his other hand that he had "LONG" tattood across his four fingers. It was great to get out of the city and get some fresh air, see farmers at work and enjoy the views and atmosphere. On my way back to the city I had a little old man wave me down for a ride back to the city. He jumped on the back of the seat and then instead of holding onto the seat like most do, he wrapped his little arms around me and held me tight. I tried to imagine that he was a gorgeous girl on the back to make it better. Quite a few time when I've been with little lane during my trip we've done bike rides and I don't think there are many things better than driving with the wind, seeing a new place with a girl you like sitting behind you with her arms wrapped around you, holding on half for safety and have just to be holding on.
Either way, as much as I tried to imagine this old guy as something else it didn't work, but I was still happy to give him a ride back to town.
From Dalat we headed to Bon Ma Thout where we were given all the stuff to make springrolls at a restaurant and we had to put them together which was good fun.
Motorbike quotes:
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
“Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...”
– Hunter Thompson
“You start the game with a full pot o’ luck and an empty pot o’ experience... The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.”

1 comment:

Selene said...

hi Steve, Selene here from episode one of "Matched". Your not uninteresting AT ALL. and I see from the blog you r very chatty!! Do you karaoke? Email me if you would like to hit a bar and sing some night or not sing whatever floats your boat. schawks_memphis@yahoo.com