Saturday, October 08, 2011

Warm Albuquerque....not really....but warm with LOVE.

Arriving to Albuquerque (Alb), we were picked up by the LLoyd's, including Bobbo. We got to reunite since him leaving NYC in March. Since the weather was dropping in the north, we were excited to head south and catch some warmer weather. Alb's slogan is "land of enchantment" surrounded by mountains and one of the highest elevated big cities in the country.

Throughout my family I am known to be a competitor. Some may say overboard, but I like to think those days are over. Our second night in we went to play open gym basketball. It was me and the Lloyd boys and a little guy on a team. We went 3-0, but I didn't run or play like I used to. After seeing the pictures that Vanessa took, I asked how she got this clear picture of me when everyone else in the picture were blurry and she explained that if people were moving they were blurry. You can see how crystal clear my picture is.

This was our dominant team.

The following day Christopher took Vanessa and I around the city to run some errands and hike a bit. We saw this sign on the side of a building and decided a picture was needed.

Then we went on a hike just outside of the city. The winds were incredibly strong and I decided this would be the last hike I make in flip flops...for the time being.

There is Chris, our trusty tour guide.

That night Vanessa and I went to the tram, but it was closed due to high winds (also, the balloon fiesta is going on in Alb, but a couple days have been canceled due to the winds too), so we hiked up to settle in and watch the sun set.

This is a sky that we never see in NYC.

The two of us loving life.

Vanessa naturally stretching on a rock with a beautiful sky. This is definitely not a pose.

I have been explaining to Vanessa how when I came out to Alb last time and visited the Lloyd's mountain house I slept out on the deck and loved the fresh mountain air and hearing birds in the morning. Finally she got to experience it for herself. Bobbo slept out with us too and it happened to be a bit chilly that night dropping down to 38 degrees.

Aunt Carol tucking in Vanessa.

Waking up after a great night sleep. Drinking hot tea and enjoying the natural surroundings.

Then we decided it was time for a hike. Vanessa, Bobbo, Chris and I set out on a couple hour hike with our courageous dog, Angel. Chris and I are looking quite serious, but neither of us know why or remember being serious for anything.

Energy built and we were getting excited!!!! Notice how Chris's feet don't leave the ground.



Vanessa couldn't take it anymore. Too much walking and not enough climbing. The trees were just calling her with temptation to climb. It is always easier getting up then getting down. This has been an ongoing lesson the last couple days with hiking, climbing rocks, and trees. I am quite aware of this, because my services are needed each time when getting down.

Angel wondering how she got dragged into this.

That night we were supposed to go to the balloon fiesta and meet Andy but it was raining pretty hard and was a bit cold so we did what anyone would do with a free night and that was go bowling. It is true that Bobbo and Carol have their own bowling shoes and Carol even has her own ball. We had 8 people with lots of different styles as you can see below, but we had a great time. We split up in teams of four and Myself, Carol, Vanessa and Andy dominated both games against Bobbo, Chris, Danny and their friend....of course with Carol leading the way (she has her own ball and shoes)


This is what look you have when you are the leader.

Vanessa more than doubled her score from the first to second game. Her grin got twice as big too.
This is where Carol was telling her boys "don't bring that weak stuff in here, I will eat you up and spit you out" At least that was my translation.

Chris thrilled that he got at least one pin down! Don't be fooled by his imitation super man shirt.
Danny doing a little celebratory dance.

Vanessa telling the world to watch out. There is a new sheriff in town.

Bobbo so happy about his new and first pair of corduroys ever...and only $1. He probably rolled a good turn also.

Andy. You may have remembered Andy from Jazz Fest. He just pops up everywhere, always with a smile, and we are always happy to see him.

This was our victorious team!

They were number one in their hearts...and isn't that what's important. Also, a cool picture.
The full troops. A lot of fun.
After our next night of sleeping on the deck we woke up to....what???? SNOW!!!!
Oct 7th. In New Mexico. Snow. This was like Christmas for me. I haven't seen snow in a few years. While it was in the high 70's in Detroit and NYC, we haven't had it above 70 since our arrival and then this. I loved it even though it was freezing. But sooooo beautiful. Vanessa is way underneath all of those blankets that you see.

What an amazing thing to wake up to.

I've missed seeing it.

Next to come. Balloon fiesta, the Galanters and camping/hiking.

No comments: