Monday, November 02, 2009

Food for my belly and for the mind.

Somehow other picture I posted here got erased and I don't have the patience to deal with the India internet system at this point to put them up again.
However, these get the main point across.

What have I been doing? eating, eating, drinking, reading and more eating.

In my life, I have been called fat, a pig, an American! But this is one of the joys of traveling and being in a different country. Oh how I've missed the fresh fruit juices, the fruit carts, the south and north indian meals, snacks and curries. I now feel like I have caught up and can begin to eat like a normal human being again.

After visiting Sandra in Auroville (picture disappeared), I headed towards Bangalore to see my people I consider family in the South; Kiran and Vibha (picture missing, but you can see pictures from last years visit on previous posts).
After a few days there and checking out golf courses (I'm working on a south Indian golf tour), I headed south to Mysore where I will spend the next month.


This is one of the fresh juice stands that I happily gave them money to make my belly smile.

South India is famous for Idly and Dosas. See above. I have been attacking these things.

Street food comes in all shapes and sizes, many that I don't even know how to say or pronounce, which in the end becomes a lot of pointing.

Panipoori, Masalapoori, Aloopoori. This is one the carts that these are created in. And, yes, they are as good as they sound!


This is a crew that are children of friends that I have made in the past while in India. As I approached the gate, the few that recognized me called out "Stu uncle"(that's me) and I felt welcome once again.

Once again I have been treated too kindly by the families that live here and I can't thank them enough for their help and kindness. I have started volunteering at Jag Therapy, a clinic that I will explain in the next blog.

It has been nice to be an a reading marathon and catch up on books that I have wanted to read for some time.

Freedom Manifesto
Story of Che (pronounced Shay-which I didn't know) Guavera
King Dork

Asking directions to this internet cafe, the guy told me to go to the "down circle"
Now if you are India and this comes up, make sure you know which way is down. Down means down the road, you just have to figure out which was he means.
Oh, and circle means a roundabout sort of thing; but since people don't actually follow the roundabout rules, it just becomes the downcircle.
I then asked if it would be on the right or left side, before or after. After about 8 seconds of heavy contemplation, he said I should ask someone when I got to the downcircle. It worked like a charm...obviously.

Also, I don't mind when some of the fresh, new foods go right through me. Since I enjoy eating, I just figure it makes room for more food. Also, I don't mind squatting, they say it's better for your system and I figure I'm getting a workout in at the same time.

Down with McDonalds, ahead with fresh fruit juices and foods we can't even name!

No comments: