Sunday, June 03, 2007

#74 Road trip baby, let the ride continue.


This is the sweet onion and peanut butter sandwich.
This is Uncle Lou being very happy that he's about to
eat one.
So I ate the peanut butter and sweet onion sandwich. How was it you ask? If you like sweet onion and you like peanut butter, you will probably like it, because it tastes like sweet onion mixed with peanut butter on bread.
Since I left off, we headed to San Antonio where we spent a day and did the river walk and wandered around the downtown of San Antonio. We then headed to a small town called Bracketville (I thought this place only existed during March madness) to vist friends that I haven't seen for almost 10 years; JoAnn and Bob. They live on an old fort in southern Texas, about a half hour away from Mexico. We walked around the complex and spent some time learning about the area and the history. One day we headed into Mexico to get some lunch and give it a go with the authentic margaritas. This is what caused the long naps for everyone on the arrival home.
This is our crew with Bob and JoAnn at their home
in southern Texas. This is taken just after we saw a huge
snake, which is why a few in the picture may look a little tense.
From here we headed back to San Antonio where we wandered around with nothing to exciting to comment on, except that in the few days up to this point I had bought connect four with plans on mastering the game at some degree. I don't know if I beat my parents and uncle Lou so many times because I am better or for the fact that they realize they will be in a car with me and don't want to have to deal with me if I lost.
The folks, Uncle Lou and I on a bridge over the
river walk in San Antonio; I hate the spurs!!!
From San Antonio we drove up to Austin where I ate at my first ever Souper Salad. This little episode put me into a digestive coma and I managed to sleep most of this day away, before we headed to sixth street to watch the pistons and play some bar shuffle board.
The following day we headed to go floating down the Guadalupe river where we met up with Angeline and Andy. Those two, my mom, Uncle Lou and myself were the only ones on the river that day, it was overcast and the water was FREEZING. Since we were the only ones however there were hundreds of turtles along all the banks of the river and every log the protruded out of the river. We had a bunch of Gin and Tonics with us on the river to help warm the blood. It ended up being loads of fun and very memorable.
Our last day we headed back to Houston where I said goodbye to my dad and Uncle Lou who were flying back to Michigan and I jumped in the car with Andy, Angeline, Juan, and Kevin and we headed to New Orleans.
The first night in New Orleans I managed to break my sandal and pull my hamstring dancing. We had a great night at a piano bar and then live bands in multiple bars and I got to meet up with my old boss who had gotten married while I was gone.
Juan who was with us is now engaged, so we made this his first bachelor party.
Our second day after walking around the city we went out to the garden district where it is the old beautiful houses along with Tulane and Loyola. We went to a sports bar to watch the pistons before heading back into town to go to a more relaxed piano bar.
The crew in New Orleans at the park in the Garden District
On our drive to New Orleans we stopped for a bathroom break and on the wall of the men's bathroom was a box to sell condoms. They were selling glow in the dark ones. How much fun would it be to play "guess where I am" with those.
Juan and I on Bourbon street. Me pointing out some local
entertainment possibilities to Juan.
From there we drove back and I met up with my mom again to prepare for our next month or two on the road.
This all happened some weeks ago which is why the details are vague. I will catch up and try to be better in the weeks to come.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. ~Lao Tzu


No comments: