Thursday, November 16, 2006

#32 Animals-the big ones, the real africa and an interesting collection of people on the big yellow bus-truck

High speed internet and internet in general isn't in much of africa.
There has been a crapload to happen since the last entry and I can't even remember it all so I will give you the highlights.
Erin, Jamie and I just bumbed around cape town for the last day until we flew into Joberg where we met our group of 19 people to join us in a overland safari from Joberg, South Africa through Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. There are people of all ages from many different coutries.
Our first stop was at Kruger Park. We did a night drive when we got there and saw giraffes, buffalo, baby jackals, baboons and lots of different types of deer type animals. This night also began our month long of sleeping in tents and waking up before 6 every morning to get on the road (we have lots of ground to cover) or start the days activities. The following day we spent the whole day in the park where we saw more of the same along with elephants, zebra, hippoes, rhino, a leapard and the king of the wild, the lion. It was such a great experience and cool thing to see out there in this park that is the size of belgium. (that's right, belgium=kruger-waffles+cool animals) We spent a majority of the next few days driving and stopping in small cities along the way which I really enjoyed since it gave me a chance to talk with the locals. In this time we also saw the 2nd largest canyon in africa, the great zimbabwe ruins where back in the day the king had 250 wifes (I don't even know 250 girls). We camped one night at a place that had a swimming pool that overlooked a cliff with valleys and mountains as far as the eye could see.

I have a small bladder. That and the fact that I drink a lot of water doesn't go over so well when you are always on the road in a vehicle with no bathroom although we can stop any time it's needed. I truly go like 10 times a day. I don't know who I inherited this from but it really disturbs the day especially when you can't get out because there may be lions or other animals near.

We stayed a couple nights at a place called antelope park (I'm sure you could read about it online). When we arrived and set up our tents there were elephants swimming in the river that wasn't 50 meters from us (150 ft, ps-no one in the rest of the world uses ft) This place is famous for saving orphaned lions and breeding them to release them back into the wild since the population number has decreased unbelievably. During our time there I went and played with lion cubs, saw the larger lions and the breeding program and walked with lions one morning to see how they are out and about with other animals around. Some of us also did a carriage ride that went around the park where we could get an upclose look at animals, we saw wildbeasts, zebra and vultures eating a dead cow.(vultures don't eat skin so if a cow hasn't been killed with insides already showing the vultures starts to eat it by going in through the anus and eating the insides-I know that's nasty)
Today we went on a rhino tracking where we looked for footprints and other clues to help us figure out which way to go and then we ended up about 30 ft from them on foot.(they are huge-weighing around 2 tons) Our group decided to go with the guide who had the open top truck and so when it rained on us there wasn't a damn thing we could do except get soaked to the bone and freeze for the next few hours.

Meals have been good, our cook Gift is from Zimbabwe and is the nicest guy in the world who calls me steveini. Some of the group call me Sir-eat-a-lot.
I have been able to make mixes and play my Ipod in the yellow submarine which as you can imagine I've been quite happy about.

We had a day where we went to a little market to buy things and the people wanted everything we had. (I traded the shirt off my back for something) This is because in Zimbabwe it is so hard for people to get stuff they want anything. They asked for Erin's hairtie right from her hair and were so happy when they got it.(It makes you think about the fact that we get tired of our clothes so quick and can just easily go to a store to buy anything we want. The houses many of them live in are just little one room huts. I can't really explain how I feel about it but it's a different world then I've ever seen. We traded some US dollars for zimbabwe money and at the bank we would get 250 for $1 but on the black market we get 1500 for $1 since no other countries will accept zimbabwe money.

This has been such a great experience so far and I will try to update as much as possible. I can't put the pictures up here and don't know when I will get a chance but as soon as I do I will let you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve-o,
Thank heavens for your blog and pics...we are loving them and appreciate them so much!
Sounds like a great time and I'm so glad you were able to meet up with Erin and Jamie.
Take care of yourselves.
Love,
Sally G
(Jen says hi!)