Wednesday, October 11, 2006

#27 First continent coming to a close, off to warmer weather



If you are still having problems seeing the pictures here is an easy way to see them:
You have to make an account with winkflash.com which is free and then you click on public files and it will say to put in a user name which is when you put in my user name: stevehowson and all of my pictures will come up.

After leaving Janiboy and the crew in Kiel I headed to Hamburg to visit some other friends, Tom (who I met earlier on the trip), his girlfriend Anne, Oliver, and his girlfriend, Yvann (sp). We started the night with the guys just catching up and playing indian poker which is where you put the card on your forhead and look at the other people and there card trying to bet whether your is higher or lower. We did this while watching the German soccer team on TV (soccer rules in Germany, along with most of the rest of the world).
We all then headed out to the famous Rappebaun which is known for loads of bars and women who wear fanny packs, these women are known as whores. I'm not being mean calling them this, they really are. We met up with some of there friends who were on a bachelor party and joined the party for the night. While waiting to decide where to go next I was hanging back and was approached by two girls with fanny packs, they said that one would suck my ____ while the other one would lick my ____. (If I got a dollar for everytime I heard that I would now have 1 dollar).
This was not free of course and I kindly refused which is when they said they want to see me naked (they said this in the tone that Flea says "we want the money lebowski" in The Big Lebowski)and I told them to take a number which is when they got disgusted with me and walked away. We finally made it to a karaoke bar and they were all excited for me to sing a song in english with my american accent but after waiting for too long to call our song (which was going to be Karma Chameleon) we left and went to another bar where they played songs like the name game, it was great before heading back to crash. There is a sort of thing called easy karaoke which is this program that when you pick the song, no matter what your voice sounds like it makes your voice sound like the original artist of the song, so everyone sounds amazing.

The following day I headed back to Bremen with Tom and Anne to watch season one of friends which Tom had gotten since my last visit when we watched season 9.
Now I am back in Quakenbruk with Adam and the frogs. I am going to go see his basketball game tonight and then I go to Vienna for a few days before heading to South Africa in less than a week, which will be good timing since it is beginning to get cold here.

It is amazing how fast these first 2 1/2 months went by and to think about how much I've done blows my mind. I will have been to 10 countries, have been on 11 flights and many train and bus rides since I've left along with hitchhiking, bike tours, walking tours, boat tours and moped cruising. I've been able to see lots of friends I haven't seen for years and made some great new friends.

A couple of things I've noticed traveling around Europe:
1-Lots of people use travel books like Rick Steve's which may be a good start but what many of them don't realize is that when he travels he doesn't pay for anything, they treat him very well and the places he stays and the restuarants he eats at and he doesn't have to be on a budget.
2-People you meet will tell you their opinion of places that you are going and many times your opinion might agree but everyone's experience depends on lots of things; who you meet, how the weather is, what you do and lots of other things, whereas one bad experience can ruin the image of a city for someone. I could go to the same city 5 times and have 5 very different experiences therefor leaving me with 5 different opinions of what I would tell people.

Thanks for following along during the first leg of the trip.
I will try to continue to keep up frequently on the journals.

There have been quite a few people that I have come across that don't speak much English at all and I don't speak their language but a smile, laugh or body language can often say more than words can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh, I was a littel confused as well...But i got it! Very funny steve...

Anonymous said...

Please never say "soccer" again. In England they will kill for that.
Indian Poker was fun.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, read what you are writing, wow. Many errors in your text. Also, stuff about Adam Hess is interesting, I want to hear more about that guy.

Anonymous said...

To hell with that Adam Hess character. I want to see more of those frogs in Quakenbruck.

Did any of the frogs wear a top hat?

Steve, Steve-o, Pivo, Stevie said...

Ok, about Adam Hess, he lives a very exciting american lifestyle in the heart of germany. It is true that he has very errect nipples at all times. He has hair coming out of his shirt like austin powers, goes after women like the ladies man and is paranoid like crackhead.
about the frogs and tophat:I do recall some of the frogs wearing hats, that were not dancing however and I didn't really notice the frogs because there were naked people walking around which really becomes the strange part in the story. Things aren't like what they used to be in the 60's.